Skip to main content

Featured

IIM Lucknow Noida Campus - The way to go for IPMX

Flip Book :  http://online.fliphtml5.com/fodvl/toay/ Not many campuses can boast of two magnificent campuses but IIM Lucknow sure can. Set out in the heart of Delhi-NCR, IIM Lucknow's Noida campus was established with a vision to facilitate closer interaction with the business.  Rightfully, the campus serves as an ideal focal point for industry and academia to co-create the business leaders of tomorrow and to solve real world business problems via case-studies, live industry projects, seminars etc. The 20-acres of lush greenery provide the perfect setting for the leaders of tomorrow to indulge in a plethora of activities such as many philanthropic events, sports meet, awareness events, summits, functional-domain specific activities etc. We have tried to capture the essence via below photographs. They depict what it feels to be in IIM Lucknow's Noida Campus. Image Courtesy: V

IPMX 2018 - The Cricket Fever


After the end of grueling 1st Term and the international exposure of 2nd Term it was time for the 3rd Term. By the end of 2nd Term people generally start easing into the shoes of the rollcoaster ride that IPMX provides, but make no mistake it’s as big as the 1st and 2nd one just that there are some of the events to look forward to such as the Annual Sports event named Pravaah where there is an all-round participation from all the residential programs, corporate and weekend programs. Its challenging since students’ needs to go on doing their normal routine classes and studies as well participate in the sports events. The good thing is one can divert their mind off a bit from studies and also the event provides a good platform to actually play, compete and form team bonding’s which would last through out even after the program is over.

I have been fortunate enough to be a part of the elite IPMX batch and as well lead the cricket team to victory this spring. Looking back, I always ask myself what did I gain out of the tournament and I can proudly say that winning was just the destination but the journey was more beautiful. It gave me an opportunity to look at people’s strengths and weaknesses, find a right balance and velocity for the team and most of all keeping the team spirit high. The interactions we had with the playing 8 and the memories that we gathered playing together will stay with rest of our lives.

This time around the sports committee organized intra college box cricket as one of the events of PRAVAAH. There were total of 12 teams that participated. We as IPMX had the luxury of forming two teams. The first task was to form two teams which was given to me and which was one of the most difficult tasks. There were lots of insights, arguments and discussions on how the team’s composition should be and we decided to have one heavy team and the other one a little lighter. The question for me was can I make everyone happy?? The answer is pretty straightforward and is obviously “NO”. It’s the same as in corporate when you are handling big teams and you have been given the assignment to get the job done. So one has to focus on the bigger goal and not let the smaller hindrances bother you. The plus is in a course such as IPMX people are mature enough to understand and little chat and pat on the back gets everyone going.

Now with the two teams finalized Team A and Team B, it was time to sort out the batting and bowling order. Box cricket as it stands is like a game of chess where one needs to have the skills as well as the attitude to win it. And our teams had both. With the start of the season everyone was anxious about how its going to come through and how our teams are going to perform. We trusted each other and I guess that was enough for the having the faith to beat any team.

Looked like someone from heaven above was writing the script of our ordeals. Group matches begun and Team B lost and won a piece each. Now it was up to the run rate whether they could qualify for the semis. Team A which was the heavier team, which I was leading, lost the first match to one of our old time rivals. But the loss itself had lot of bitter sweet memories. The matches were mostly at night, and so we fortunately or unfortunately we had a full house. Fortunate because we had hundred percent attendance even though attendance from both the batches was not mandatory and unfortunate because we lost the match. The match itself was a thrilling experience for everyone, one can imagine it as India Pakistan match where every ball is being cheered and booed at the same time. A lot of aggression from both the teams, a bit of sledging or I may say a lot of sledging and some really good cricket, does someone needs anything more than that? And even though we lost the match it taught us a lot of lessons and we learnt a lot from it.

Next 3 matches we won on the trot and we were in the finals now thanks to the loss from our first match. All the matches we played we did make and impact and they were comprehensive victories. We did play according to the plan, did some minor reshuffling in the team’s composition and stuck to our plans. The most important thing was we were gelling well as a team, players backing each other and encouraging each other. We were like a well-oiled machine of destruction. I was confident enough now because I exactly knew the nerves of my team by this time. I was fortunate enough to lead a pack which wanted to win and win some more.

Team B rolled out due to lesser run rate and all hopes were on Team A. Did I have an option to lose? I guess not. We prepared well and I still remember the night before the match I was dreaming about winning it. I could not concentrate in the class as I was anxious, nervous and a lot of thoughts were running around in my mind. I was reshuffling the batting order in my mind since I had made a change again. We had a good bowling attack so I was ok with that. I was making a plan B and C in my mind incase plan A fails. I was so engrossed in planning the whole thing out that I was still sitting in the class even after the lecture was over. The team change had to be explained to the whole team and we had the consensus. The match started at 10 PM it was a full house again and the best part was it was the same team who beat us in the first match, our arch rivals. During the toss as the umpire tossed the coin I went into the flashback of our loss and the celebration the other team had. I called heads and heads it was. Our team huddled together and we promised each other that we will get the trophy. We chose to bat and executed our plan to the tee. We were happy with the score. I could see the oppositions body language and make out clearly they are not confident chasing the score we had posed. Rest is history. We won the match comfortably, shook hands with the opposition, waited for them to leave the ground and then we celebrated. It was something, I could see it in everyone’s eyes. We were hugging each other for the next hour I think, took some snaps and the celebrations went on. It was one of my favorite moments of this entire IPMX journey. The game brought people together and it taught us to trust each other and work as a team. If you ask me, personally I would be ok to give my right hand for that moment when we won. Cheers!!



-- Abhijit Das (IPMX 2018-19)

Comments